Why Romney Still Doesn’t Get It
Romney’s Horse Ballet Deduction
Margaret Carlson gets the quote of the week for her Bloomberg commentary on Mitt Romney’s wealth blind spotsand not getting that dressage may not be the kind of business tax deduction he wants a lot of economically-strapped political independents to read about.
Dressage, or ‘horse ballet’, are not part of my normal lexicon — so wanted to share the nice write-up Wikipedia provides for those, who like me, may not be wired in to the sport:
Dressage — a French term, most commonly translated to mean “training” — is a competitive equestrian sport, defined by the International Equestrian Federation as “the highest expression of horse training,” where “horse and rider are expected to perform from memory a series of predetermined movements” Competitions are held at all levels from amateur to the World Equestrian Games. Its fundamental purpose is to develop, through standardized progressive training methods, a horse’s natural athletic ability and willingness to perform, thereby maximizing its potential as a riding horse. At the peak of a dressage horse’s gymnastic development, the horse will respond smoothly to a skilled rider’s minimal aids. The rider will be relaxed and appear effort-free while the horse willingly performs the requested movement. Dressage is occasionally referred to as “Horse Ballet”.
Now for the zinger quote from Margaret Carlson whose full article you should read:
A presidential candidate who takes a huge tax deduction for such an elitist sport exhibits a cluelessness bordering on contempt. Romney has argued that dressage helps his wife’s multiple sclerosis. That’s all to the good, but dressage is to therapeutic horseback riding as caviar is to Spam.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook