Hemingway Bar to Open in Cuba
A new bar is opening in DC, called “Hemingway’s Bar”, in the invite only Cuban Interests Section. This is vastly better public diplomacy than the US-Cuba tit-for-tat shenanigans of the past.
Small scoop, but on October 6th, the Cuban Interests Section (aka, the Cuban Embassy if we ever get back to normalizing relations) will launch a clever bit of public diplomacy by opening “Hemingway’s Bar.”
And as commerce can’t change hands between Americans and Cubans — the drinks will be free. I plan to go and will want a “Hemingway Daiquiri” — double the rum, and no sugar.
And what is as interesting is that the Cuban national historical landmark, the Finca Vigia, which was the Havana hills home built by Ernest Hemingway and his third wife, journalist Martha Gellhorn,
will be providing educational and cultural exhibits and material about
Hemingway’s work and life during his two decades living in Cuba.
Compare this kind of diplomacy to how the Americans and Cubans used to harass each other in the past.
a cartoon revolutionary shouting to Uncle Sam “Señores Imperialistas
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 6 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook