Praying for Richard Holbrooke
Richard Holbrooke has been one of my most important touch points in Washington and has been a close friend, adviser, and in recent years — a partner in sorting through and discussing in private some of America’s biggest national security and foreign policy challenges.
He is very, very ill — in critical condition at the moment — after surgery to repair his aorta. My own father died of a ruptured aorta, and I find myself deeply distressed by the news just released.
Richard Holbrooke is not everyone’s favorite diplomat — but among those in the current Obama administration, he is mine. He is the Dem’s most successful player in securing America’s diplomatic objectives. A huge player in the global justice community, Richard is the one most tenaciously, vigorously, competently focused on achieving real results.
Richard Holbrooke can be a son of a bitch in all of the right ways — a real fighter and a brilliant policy intellectual and practitioner — and I’m hoping that he is fighting as hard as he can not to leave us. This city and America’s foreign policy team will be vastly diminished without him.
I don’t pray much — but I am praying for Richard Holbrooke right now and his wife, Kati Marton.
– Steve Clemons
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook