The Facebook Fund Fiasco
Aren’t you happy you didn’t get in on a Facebook Fund?
The boiler room brokers who’ve spent the last 6 months pounding their clients and prospective clients to get in on their “Facebook IPO funds” now have some ‘splainin’ to do. I explained what these were in a post last week, read it here.
Anyway, now their “clients” are locked into a private placement vehicle that purports to own shares – most of which are likely 144 lock-up shares (non free-trading stock). They pitched the fund as “the only way to get in on Facebook before the IPO!” I imagine that the sizzle that sold this steak was centered around the potential of a massive opening pop and the exclusivity that comes with owning IPO stock in advance.
Only it didn’t work out that way. Facebook can now be bought at the IPO price (and immediately sold if need be) by any schmuck on the street, anywhere in the world, with the click of a mouse. But if you have your capital tied up in one of these Facebook funds – well then you can only watch. And know that your broker is a troglodyte and that he probably got a nice inside commission for locking up your capital.
The silver lining here, of course, is that at least that portion of your capital is spoken for – thankfully, the broker can’t margin it out and buy you any of his other top picks with it.
I like to look at the bright side.
I’ve gotten a few emails and messages from people who told me I saved them from pulling the trigger on these offerings with what I wrote. I’m really glad to hear that.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook