Saudi Arabia and the Arab Spring
Man, is Saudi Arabia on the losing side of history…the Arab Spring was the warning shot that things have finally changed. They know it. The Medieval collectors of sex slaves and suppressors of human rights that run the country have successfully quashed their own internal rebellion and they now turn their eyes toward stopping their neighbors from joining the 21st Century.
Their cause is a hopeless one…
From the New York Times:
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — Saudi Arabia is flexing its financial and diplomatic might across the Middle East in a wide-ranging bid to contain the tide of change, shield other monarchies from popular discontent and avert the overthrow of any more leaders struggling to calm turbulent nations.
They will lose. Eventually. The horses have already bolted from the barn.
In the meanwhile, the G8 Nations have pledged to “bolster democracy” in the Arab region. They’ll focus on trade with Egypt and Tunisia to put a little economic mustard on the new-found freedoms there…
From the New York Times:
DEAUVILLE, France — Leaders of the Group of 8 wealthiest industrialized nations pledged on Friday to send billions of dollars in aid to Egypt and Tunisia, hoping to reduce the threat that economic stagnation could undermine the transition to democracy.
As the youth are exposed to Western ideals and culture, the filthy old men who’ve robbed a century of evolution from their own people don’t stand a chance. Saudi Arabia’s overturn may be a ways off, but as their neighbors take back what’s theirs, it is inevitable.
Here are the dueling headlines telling this story that hit my email box this morning from the New York Times:
It’s all happening. And faster than many may think. The black hole that was the Middle East is no more.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook
- 10 Shaq Confident He Will Eventually Make Funny Quip on TNT