Amidst Rumors To The Contrary, OnLive Claims It’s Still Streaming Strong
OnLive, the console that streams games directly to your television or computer monitor, may be in dire straights, but OnLive’s Director of Corporate Communications Brian Jaquet claims that the company is not going under.
This past September at Eurogamer Expo, I was lucky enough to be one of many who acquired a free OnLive console after merely waiting on line for a bit. But after obtaining the piece of equipment for free, I tucked it into my drawer, never to even think about it again.
That all changed when the Internet today exploded with rumors of OnLive’s demise. This is despite the fact that OnLive recently announced a partnership with Android console maker OUYA, as well as a deal with Google to run a copy of OnLive in their Google TV Stream players.
For those of you who haven’t heard of the service, OnLive is akin to the Netflix of video games, with both a purchase and rental option, as well as a sleek custom controller. Theoretically, the service can replace the need for an Xbox 360 or PS3, although it seems that its dent in the market has been less then sufficient.
Senior IDG Correspondent Martyn Williams has already reported boxes being taken outside the OnLive building on his Twitter feed:
Packing boxes in #OnLive building. (c) IDG photo. RTs OK, posting on media/news sites prohibited pic.twitter.com/xFGkSzLS
If you’re interested in the outcome of the company, you can follow Williams for the latest updates.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook