What Romney Really Thinks About Women
Forget about the “binders of women” — deliciously ridiculous piece of syntax though it is. The real meat of that statement was in his assertion about hiring a woman and making sure she could leave by 5:00 PM to “make dinner for her family.”
This is what Mitt Romney, again and again, illustrates as his core ideation of women–as a homemaker first and foremost. For him, everything else in her life is secondary, a putative “hobby,” generously granted to her by society and/or a male partner.
Think about what he said later in the debate about how what women want most is “flexible schedules,” presumably so that their work doesn’t get in the way of their “real job.” Or how Ann Romney confided to Good Housekeeping how when she was diagnosed with MS and very ill, Mitt generously said, “it’s okay if you don’t cook every night. I’ll eat toast and cold cereal.”
His imagination does not encompass the idea of a man as a helpmeet, as someone equally responsible for the care of the home and the rearing of children. (Unmarried couples or same-sex couples don’t exist; and as we know, single moms just raise mass murderers, so…), let alone the idea of a woman who works because she must. Because she is the breadwinner for her family, or for her own personal fulfillment, or because–and get this–because she is so terrific at her job that she is indispensable to the wider world. Because we all benefit from her her talent and drive. Mitt Romney believes that women belong to their husbands and children. Not to the wider world. And certainly not to themselves.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 6 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook