Superhero Lady Arm Wrestlers in Portland, Maine.
Last Saturday, in Portland Maine, Superhero Lady Arm Wrestlers of Portland had their first event.
Co-founder and organizer of SLAP, Blainor McGough, found out about ladies arm wrestling when she went to a bachelorette party in the Hudson Valley, and met a friend who was a wrestler in the Hudson Valley League, BRAWL.
Blainor is the founder and director of an arts non-profit in Portland, Mayo Street Arts, which brings arts programs to children in the community. The non-profit’s headquarters, an old church in East Bayside, served as the arm wrestling venue last saturday night for Portland’s lady heroes. The event raised just over a thousand dollars for Mayo Street Arts and MENSK, another small local arts organization.
“I’m about five months pregnant so I’ve been laying pretty low, but I’ve got so many personas floating through my mind,” Blainor tells me. Her favorite moment of the evening? When Voom Voom Valhalla came out with her entourage. “She had viking braids that came down to the floor but she was whipping them around in circles.” After the event, Voom Voom Valhalla, champion and mother of three, told Blainor “I really needed that.”
Other appearances of the night included Queen Elizabeth, with her nose up in the air and an incredible hoop gown, (“The crowd was booing her but I loved it,” Blainor says), Durga the Demon Slayer, (with four arms and a touch of 60′s Bollywood) and Big Pimp, the tallest wrestler. “She really did pimp it. She brought in three times as much money as anyone else.”
I ask Blaine if she thinks there is a Maine local flavor? “I think so” she says, “because there was a pirate chic, Marauding Mama. I expect to see more lumberjacks and fisherwomen showing up in Maine. Northern Gals.”
The next SLAP event will be held on November 3rd
Check out Local Press
Article in The Portland Phoenix
Article in Maine Today
Visit Mayo Street Arts or SLAP’s FB page:
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook
- 10 Shaq Confident He Will Eventually Make Funny Quip on TNT