7 TV Families I Want To Take A Summer Road Trip With
With all the sunshine and record highs here on the East Coast, you wouldn’t know it was still March, and it’s got me thinking about days at the beach, margaritas, and of course, road trips!
Here are my top picks for TV families I wouldn’t mind being stuck with in a car for a few days:
The Dunphys, Modern Family
Half an hour of this Modern Family crew not enough for you? How about five days in the family minivan with Captain Phil at the wheel while Claire sings Spandau Ballet on repeat, Haley and Alex argue, and Luke refuses to take a box off his head. Yeah, sounds like my last family road trip, too.
The Gilmores, Gilmore Girls
This road trip would set the record for the fastest, wittiest mother-daughter car dialogue ever. I’m calling shotgun (sorry, Rory!)
The Swansons, Parks & Recreation
Mrs. Swanson (a.ka. Tammy Zero) has a room devoted to her guns, refuses to answer stupid questions (like why she has a room full of guns) and drinks liquor capable of stripping paint from metal. Imagine all the hijinks of her, Ron, and a Tammy or two on a cross country road trip! With all the bacon and eggs that they have.
The Crawleys, Downton Abbey
“What is a ‘road trip’?” – The Dowager Countess
The Stackhouses, True Blood
Why make all the supernatural beasties go to Bon Temps when you could bring Sookie and Jason (and of course Bill, Eric, and probably a werepanther or two that won’t let the siblings out of their sight) to them! Think of all the other mythic creatures that could be waiting for them (El Chupacabra, please!)
The Donaghy – Jessups, 30 Rock
What do we think they are? Farmers? The Donaghy – Jessups do not go on road trips (certainly not to Canada), watch movies about road trips, or believe that the road trip is an American institution. Unless Reagan went on one.
The Matthews, Boy Meets World
There’s nothing like some ’90s nostalgia to make a car trip feel shorter. But if Topanga comes, I refuse to play The Name Game.
Did I miss any? Hate some of my picks? Are you also dying to see True Blood take on El Chupacabra? It’s okay, we all are.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook
- 10 Shaq Confident He Will Eventually Make Funny Quip on TNT