“Travel for Change” to Maine
New England, here we come.
Maine’s “No on Question 1″ campaign is attempting to ensure it doesn’t make the same mistake on gay marriage as California did in 2008. And wouldn’t you know it, travel could be the savior.
The organization Travel for Change has decided to bring volunteers to Maine to advocate same-sex marriage, which the state gets a chance to vote on next month — coincidentally on the one-year anniversary that California voters chose to keep same-sex couples from marrying. While they are only officially offering volunteer positions, Travel for Change is fundraising to help pay volunteers’ airline, room, and car fees.
In Maine, volunteers will be placed in jobs for at least a week. Volunteers from out of town will receive help from a travel coordinator, who will assist with finding inexpensive lodging.
I see this a great opportunity for the more than 12% currently unemployed in California, who are also frustrated with the lack of equality in my home state. But wherever you live, here are some ways to help Maine, based on the thickness of your money clip:
1) TOP BENJAMIN: You can donate money, or even buy a plane ticket for a volunteer Maine traveler. Feel good without even leaving your home!
2) MIDDLE BENJAMIN: Take a week off work (it’s not like you enjoy going, anyway), soak in all Maine has to offer — yeah, better make that two weeks — and indulge in a “volunteer vacation.”
3) BOTTOM BENJAMIN: If you’re unemployed or getting dangerously close, get a Top Ben to buy you a ticket, and have travel coordinators hook you up with a room. Take a vacation (sure, it’s not in Rome or Paris, but Bottom Bens can’t be choosers) and help encourage Maine to make smart decisions at the same time.
If lobsters, oysters, or Winslow Homer‘s crib do not tickle your travel bug, there is always Sacramento, where California residents will proudly march to the steps of the capitol on November 4, determined to overthrow the vote that affected thousands of couples one year ago.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook