Space Hotels: Bad for Sweat Glands, Good for Sunsets
Last year, Wall-E may have scared us all into thinking that space travel would turn us into potato sacks with dangling, short legs, only concerned with a giant, touchscreen panel. Well, that last part may come true sooner than later: Students at Imperial College London and the Royal College of Art in the U.K. are currently designing hotel concepts that decidedly emphasize health, exercise, and nutrition.
The Space Hotel Project includes clothes with chest flaps (good luck to those with especially pungent sweat glands), a robot concierge, sleeping bags that hang from pods, a COLBERT treadmill, and a customizable food menu. Students who apparently miss the Dance Dance Revolution trend yet are now fond of yoga resistance bands have also envisioned an exercise wall where one can “pull on elastic bands in time with lights and music” to maintain their muscles while enjoying zero gravity. (Which begs the question, does this exercise room include a disco ball and play the Bee Gee’s greatest hits? If so, I’m requesting an advance reservation).
Of course, exotic, designer hotels are usually meant to keep guests within the confines of the resort, but in this case, you wouldn’t really have a choice. (Unless you’re feeling extra adventurous; in that case, buy a spacesuit to venture outside.)
But what are the perks of staying in a secluded hotel? While your friends on Earth awake to a new sunrise every day, you’ll experience 16 sunrises in 24 hours. You also don’t have to worry about putting a “please service” sign on the doorknob, because an “Airmaid” will take care of all the crumbs and dirt while you sleep. If only I had someone to perform such services in my apartment every night, although maybe a garden gnome is best for me given that gadgets already rule too much of my life.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 3 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 4 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 5 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 6 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 7 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 8 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 9 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Strartup
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook