The Fallback Plan for When You’re Not Charles Dickens
The Fallback Plan is a weekly column, offering advice to those undergoing a second adolescence, written by Leigh Stein, author of The Fallback Plan, newly released from Melville House. For an illustrated fallback plan of your own, write to Leighstein@thefastertimes.com
What’s the best etiquette for found poems? That is, if said found poem includes text messages from someone who you were hooking up with and remain on friendly terms with, but don’t see often?
My etiquette for found poems is “If we are hooking up and you are texting me, know that I am putting it in a poem. I am a poet.” I have this tattooed across my clavicle, and I always wear camisoles to bars.
Best of luck,
How can I, having three little children (aged 4 and 2 years old and 3 months) and a fulltime job, find time for projects of my own?
I’m looking forward to your solution(s)!
Annelies (from Ghent, Belgium)
As someone who owns a cat who was born without a tail and a boyfriend, I sympathize with your concern. The cat is always crawling all over me, begging for attention, and the boyfriend constantly needs to be fed. It’s hard to make me time but here are some ideas:
1. Insomnia. Over-commit yourself until anxiety shakes you awake at 3am, and then drag yourself out of bed to write sad stories about your ex-boyfriends. Sure, you’ll feel like a zombie the next day, but oh how sweet those dark silent hours can be.
2. Put your kids to work. Will your boss notice? Probably not.
3. Make your kids your project. See also: Sally Mann, Marla Olmstead, Kate Gosselin.
And remember: Charles Dickens had ten children and still managed to do a lot. So if all else fails, maybe you just need what he had: a wife.
Illustrations by Krysten Brown
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook