LA Mayor: Tweetie, Yes, Sometimes It’s Me
Remember how I was wondering about the mayor’s tweets the other day? And how despite everyone telling me I was foolish, I still think (and care) that he sometimes does put his own 140 character thoughts out there? I got confirmation today that he does! From the man himself, in person (no tweet-a-tweet or twet-a-twet). I mean, I’m not Ryan Seacrest. See below.
Where: The Michael Jackson “This Is It” movie premiere at the Nokia Theater / L. A. Live in downtown Los Angeles. Specifically the red carpet.
When: At the tail end as everyone was wrapping up, and the random assortment of 90210 actors, people of dubious fame or connection, had passed through, suddenly, the skies parted and Will Smith did a lap for us. No interviews. Then the “Wizard of Oz” winds continued (seriously, a leaf fell against my face – and it hurt) and blew in none other than….
Who: LA Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa himself, walking down the remains of the outdoor red runway. Fresh from the presser where he announced the three candidates to replace outgoing LAPD Chief Bill Bratton…
Why: “Because of the premiere,” says His Honor. “And also because of L.A. Live, which I’ve long said is central to the revitalization of the city….” Sure! Villaraigosa proceeded to tell me he met MJ once a long time ago and had been to many of his concerts. Uh huh….but what I really want to know, since he was all gleeful and in love and whatnot at the U2 concert the other night would this MJ movie be better? “That U2 concert is as good as it gets!"
But what I wanted to know, even more than that, was, “Mayor, is it really you tweeting? Like from the concert? That’s you, right? Not staff?” He either didn’t hear me or pretended not to hear me. That’s cool. But then, as if Christmas had come early, in the dead time before his KTLA live interview, I asked a second and third time. “So about the tweets…At the games and concerts, that’s you right? ‘I LOVE LA’ with four exclamation points? Come on, that’s you, right?”
He finally looked at me and smiled, “‘I LOVE LA!!!’ is me.”
P.S. I wondered what the mayor would think of the movie…and then he tweeted the following:
Go Lakers! Who else feels a repeat coming on?
@RyanSeacrest it’s in the bag! I love LA!
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook