Remembering a Cruel Murder: Laramie Revisited
In an America that fancies itself a leader among democracies, some consenting adults are still not able to marry one another. Legalizing civil unions doesn’t cut it, even though that would correct some of the obvious injustices. As long as Americans are allowed to think that some marriages are more valid than others, some people more equal than others, there will be crimes against citizens because of sexual orientation.
The best way to honor Matthew Shepard, a gay man who was brutally murdered ten years ago in Laramie, Wyoming, is to legalize same-sex marriage.
Theaters across the country are doing the second best thing.
Shephard’s murder, you may recall, was the subject of The Laramie Project, a docudrama created by the Tectonic Theater. Now, more than 120 theaters in all 50 states, Canada, Great Britain, Spain, Hong Kong and Australia are recognizing the murder’s October 12 anniversary by presenting readings of the Tectonic Theater Project’s new work, The Laramie Project: 10 Years Later. Glenn Close will host a pre-show event at Lincoln Center’s Alice Tully Hall.
Written by The Laramie Project creators Moisés Kaufman, Leigh Fondakowski, Greg Pierotti, Andy Paris and Stephen Belber, the play is an epilogue to the original piece. According to press releases I received from more than 30 theaters last month, the epilogue focuses on the long-term effects of the murder on the town of Laramie, exploring how the town has changed and how the murder continues to reverberate in the community. Interviews with Shepard’s mother and his murderer, who is serving two consecutive life sentences, inform some of it. The writers also conducted follow-up interviews with Laramie residents whose stories were part of the original piece.
Many theaters are contributing ticket revenues to GLBT centers. If you want to make a difference, buy a ticket for a homophobic acquaintance who can use a jolt, and send an invitation to your congressional representative.
Follow Theater Talk on Facebook.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook