Craig Newmark on How Craigslist Found an Ipad
My name is Sam and I work every day to help people with disabilities. I am in a PhD program at Penn State and co-created an iPhone app that helps people who have difficulty speaking. I work very hard helping individuals and their families. It is my life’s work.
Anyway, I lost my iPad during my trip to SF this week for the WWDC. I was sitting on a bench across from the Buena Yerba gardens on my way back from a WWDC education party and my fiancee called. I got lost in the conversation and got up without my iPad. When I got to my room I was sick about it. I could not find it anywhere and thought it may be at the party, but had a sinking feeling it was on the bench.
I tried the Apple tools to send messages to the iPad but it showed it as off.
I posted a message and within one hour, I received a message from Pat and Curt, two small business owners who were walking their dog and found the iPad.
So, while I am so excited to have my iPad back, I am even more excited about the generosity of these people. It made me realize that people can really care.
I just wanted you and your colleagues to know about this story and about how Pat [info redacted for privacy] helped me find my iPad.
In the elevator ride down today, I realized that Craigslist is the only way I would have been able to get back my unlabeled iPad so quickly. Also, note that the nice couple would not accept the little gift I wanted to give them. Yet, I was glad that they accepted the dog biscuits I gave for their nice little dog, who by needing a walk was also a bit of a hero in the story.
In this age, I just can’t get over how awesome these people were and I love that they were waiting and watching Craigslist to see if someone would post. Thank you for what you do.
Check out the NY Times article about Sams’ work.
Photo by nDevilTV
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 3 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 6 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 7 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook