Nintendo Wii 2 Specs and Details Begin to Leak, Reports Indicate
Can you hear that? It’s the sweet, sweet pitter-patter of another console cycle. Reports have begun to flow in from all over the web that Nintendo is primed to take the first step and formally reveal a follow-up to their massively successful Wii console. This reveal would most likely come in June during the E3 electronics conference.
First of all, what is the hook going to be? The Wii had motion control. The just-released 3DS had 3D. The DS before it had two screens and touchscreen functionality. Nintendo is big on hooks. Nintendo also likes to hold information close to their chest. However, reports indicate that it will come in the form of touchscreen-enabled controllers that can stream content directly from the system. The screen is said to be 6″ or so, so think of the controllers iPads with buttons. I really can’t comment as to how this will effect gameplay, but certainly Madden cheats(You know who you are) will no longer be able to crib on my plays anymore.
The system is also expected to massively up the connectivity features, as is it codenamed “Project Cafe.” Unless, that is, the hook is that it makes a perfect cup of espresso. Maybe it will be able to do some mean latte art too.
Also, IGN reported today that they have unearthed a motherload of tech specs on the system. If the reports are correct, the system is going to be very powerful, significantly more powerful than both the PS3 and Xbox 360. This is interesting as Nintendo has never been known to overpower its consoles. Let’s run through the reported specs. Don’t worry. Most of this doesn’t make sense to me either.
- GPU – Word is Wii 2 will pack in a modified version of AMD’s R700 architecture.
- CPU – The CPU will be a custom-designed triple-core version of the IBM PowerPC chipset.
- HD – Nintendo seems to finally be embracing HD. The system is reported to run in 1080p and will most likely utilize stereoscopic 3D.
- Size – The days of the tiny, cute Wii may be over. Wii 2 is said to be an overeater. The system could be as big or bigger than the original Xbox 360.
- Price – All of those high specs(Not to mention those touch-screen enabled controllers) come with a price. It is said the system may cost $350-$400.
- Release date – This is the coolest part. It could launch as soon as this holiday season. If it doesn’t make the window, look for it to launch early next year. Probably in March just like the 3DS.
Of course, none of this has been officially confirmed by Nintendo. IGN has a pretty good track record though. It makes sense, after all. The Wii launched well before the iPhone. Back then there were casual gamers ripe for the picking. They have since moved on to 99 cent apps, however. It’s time for Nintendo to recapture the hardcore gamer. By the looks of these specs, the company knows this.
Look for Nintendo to address all of this soon. Meanwhile, Sony and Microsoft are said to be holding off on releasing new consoles until 2013 or later.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 6 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook