Apple iPhone Found to Secretly Track Your Every Move, Report Indicates
Reports are coming in that the venerable Apple iPhone 4 is tracking your every move. The device is being accused of secretly tracking users’ locations without their consent. The information is then stored inside the phone, according to a report published today from a site called iPhone Tracker.
The report indicates this down-low sleuthing began in June with the release of iOS 4. The research team have posted a program online that will let jailbroken iPhones get in on the fun. Wanna see where you’ve been since June? Just download the program and see. The proof is in the virtual pudding on this one, it seems.
The program’s developers, listed as Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden, have indicated that there is no evidence that the information is beamed to Apple or other interested parties. So there is not yet a reason to whip out terms like i-Gestapo or put videos on Youtube that show iPhone footage set to that classic Police song. Still, keep Final Draft on the ready. Better safe than sorry right?
So why did the company even enable this, um, feature?
“One guess might be that they have new features in mind that require a history of your location, but that’s pure speculation. The fact that it’s transferred across devices when you restore or migrate is evidence the data-gathering isn’t accidental,” the creators write on their iPhone Tracker site.
As an aside, I downloaded the program and it reminded me I haven’t left the immediate vicinity of my apartment in the past five months. That made me sad. Thanks a lot Apple.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook