Microsoft looking toward 2015 for release of next-gen Xbox
The next-gen of portable systems may already be upon us but we still have a while to wait on their big brothers. Reports are coming in that indicate Microsoft is circling 2015 on their calendar for the release of the new Xbox.
How did these reports come to be? It seems Stephen Chapman over at ZDNet came across an internal memo detailing the need for a design group to “investigate future user experience scenarios and hardware for the Xbox circa 2015.”
Yes, that’s vaguer than when a politician talks about the American dream. Still, it does follow suit with what Microsoft has been saying since day one: That this cycle was different and would last around ten years, as opposed to the usual five or six. So, from that standpoint it makes sense. Also, it’s fairly obvious the Kinect was released as a life extension policy for the now almost six year old Xbox 360. Getting a bit long in the tooth there aren’t we 360?
A lot can happen in four years, though. Nintendo is already poised to announce a successor to the Wii, perhaps as early as this summer’s E3 conference. The always unpredictable Sony could also follow suit. This would leave Microsoft in a very precarious position, like one of those dreams where you back in high school but naked.
We’ll be keeping an eye on this as it develops, over the next , um, four years.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Amanda Bynes’s Behavior Revealed to Be Elaborate PSA
- 2 Obama Horrified by the Grammar in Our Emails
- 3 Monster Fart Prompting Management to Rethink “Open Office”
- 4 NSA Demanded Access To Un-Filtered Instagram Photos
- 5 Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Ambushed By Alan ‘The Paper’ Rubinstein
- 6 Vice Magazine Now Only Hiring Writers Who Fail Drug Test
- 7 ‘Licensed to Kim Jong Il’ Records 27th Straight Year Atop N. Korean Charts
- 8 Henry Cavill to be Replaced by Stack of Pancakes in “Man of Steel” Sequel
- 9 Taco Bell Now Just Dumping Bags of Doritos Into Everything On Menu
- 10 Stanley Cup Final One Blowout Away From “Boston Massacre” Headline Outrage