Geminoid DK, Danish designed robot that smashes right through that uncanny valley
Meet Geminoid DK. This Danish designed robot(or android, for you semantics hounds) is seriously close to human. He, or um it, was designed to look and act like the lead scientist on the project, Associate Professor Henrik Scharfe of Aalborg University in Denmark. He falls asleep, realistically. It is kind of weird, but cool in that “now I know how Windows 95 felt in 2002″ kind of way.
Where do we even start with this? It is sort of creepy. We humans tend to not care for robots that even approach the uncanny valley, let alone smash right through it like our boy Geminoid.
Watch the video below and you’ll understood my conundrum. Where do I go with jokes? There are just so many possibilities. There’s the obvious Cylon/Skynet forthcoming robot apocalypse angle. There’s a lengthy query on the logistics of creating a robotic goatee. There’s also pointing out how porn really dropped the ball on pioneering this technology(how unlike them.) You could make reference to Watson, Jude Law in A.I. or any one of the Jetsons. Oh, and there’s always Data. Brent Spiner’s Twitter feed is probably blowing up right about now.
So yeah. Kudos, Denmark! You, um, did it. Just look at him fall asleep! Somebody call the dude who made the honey badger video. Oh wait, that could have been another joke.
More faster tech:
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Amanda Bynes’s Behavior Revealed to Be Elaborate PSA
- 2 Obama Horrified by the Grammar in Our Emails
- 3 Monster Fart Prompting Management to Rethink “Open Office”
- 4 NSA Demanded Access To Un-Filtered Instagram Photos
- 5 Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Ambushed By Alan ‘The Paper’ Rubinstein
- 6 ‘Licensed to Kim Jong Il’ Records 27th Straight Year Atop N. Korean Charts
- 7 Vice Magazine Now Only Hiring Writers Who Fail Drug Test
- 8 Henry Cavill to be Replaced by Stack of Pancakes in “Man of Steel” Sequel
- 9 Stanley Cup Final One Blowout Away From “Boston Massacre” Headline Outrage
- 10 Taco Bell Now Just Dumping Bags of Doritos Into Everything On Menu