Geek Barbie Coming From Mattel
From the earliest of ages, young girls have looked to their beloved Barbie dolls, and thought “that’s what I want to be when I grow up.” Whether it be a “Veterinarian,” “School Teacher,” or “Ballerina,” for generations now Barbie has been a doll that millions of girls play with and (many researchers believe) idolize. Well, as the times change, so does Babs. International toymaker Mattel recently announced that the results of an first-ever online contest to name the profession that the latest edition of Barbie dolls, and the popular-vote winner was, befittingly, “Computer Engineer Barbie.” That’s right; pink-frame glasses, Bluetooth, laptop, and (my personal favorite) binary code tee-shirt will accessorize Computer Engineer Barbie in the “I Can Be” series.
It’s Computer Engineer Barbie!
According to a release from Mattel, “Having Barbie as a new ambassador for female computer engineers can help inspire a new generation of girls to hone in on their computer skills and become part of a growing profession.” Barbie designers worked with the Society of Women Engineers and the National Academy of Engineering to ensure the doll and accessories accurately reflect and represent this occupation. To further the reality of being a computer engineer, the doll also includes a code to unlock exclusive online games on Barbie.com. Wait. You don’t know many female engineers that wear sparkling black knit skinny pants, and carry a pink laptop either? Fair enough, however with the likes of Marissa Mayer, Google Employee No. 20 and the company’s first female engineer, and Sheryl Sandberg, COO of Facebook, being found in The New York Times, as well as on the pages of Vogue, they, nor Barbie, will accept to be stereotyped. How does that saying go? One small step for a Barbie, one giant leap for SEO Bombshells… stepping, of course, in hot pink stilettos.
Originally from Wpromote, Inc. PPC Management. Cross-Posted with permission.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook