Stanford Stops UConn Streak at 90 Straight Run-Up Scores
It is an NCAA record. And the team does play right down the road from Bristol. For a multitude of reasons, we’ll be seeing highlights of Thursday night’s Stanford victory over the Connecticut women to end the longest winning streak in college basketball history at 90 in a row for months to come, if not years, on SportsCenter and other shows on The Worldwide Leader.
And amid all the highlights and Geno interviews and such, you might learn a fun fact: Not only did Stanford end the streak on Thursday night, the Cardinal also were the last team to defeat UConn before the streak began. And that win was no run-of -the-mill midseason tilt. It was a semifinal in the 2008 NCAA Division 1 Women’s Basketball Tournament. A big stage.
Here’s how it went down for Stanford last time:
The next year, Stanford had a chance to halt unbeaten UConn again, this time in the NCAA semis, but the Huskies won on the way to the first of two straight national championships in two straight 39-0 seasons.
Follow Sports Pulse on Twitter
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook
- 10 Shaq Confident He Will Eventually Make Funny Quip on TNT