Stanford Stops UConn Streak at 90 Straight Run-Up Scores
It is an NCAA record. And the team does play right down the road from Bristol. For a multitude of reasons, we’ll be seeing highlights of Thursday night’s Stanford victory over the Connecticut women to end the longest winning streak in college basketball history at 90 in a row for months to come, if not years, on SportsCenter and other shows on The Worldwide Leader.
And amid all the highlights and Geno interviews and such, you might learn a fun fact: Not only did Stanford end the streak on Thursday night, the Cardinal also were the last team to defeat UConn before the streak began. And that win was no run-of -the-mill midseason tilt. It was a semifinal in the 2008 NCAA Division 1 Women’s Basketball Tournament. A big stage.
Here’s how it went down for Stanford last time:
The next year, Stanford had a chance to halt unbeaten UConn again, this time in the NCAA semis, but the Huskies won on the way to the first of two straight national championships in two straight 39-0 seasons.
Follow Sports Pulse on Twitter
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Amanda Bynes’s Behavior Revealed to Be Elaborate PSA
- 2 Obama Horrified by the Grammar in Our Emails
- 3 Monster Fart Prompting Management to Rethink “Open Office”
- 4 NSA Demanded Access To Un-Filtered Instagram Photos
- 5 Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Ambushed By Alan ‘The Paper’ Rubinstein
- 6 ‘Licensed to Kim Jong Il’ Records 27th Straight Year Atop N. Korean Charts
- 7 ‘A/S/L’ Most Asked Question At Kaplan Online University Reunion
- 8 Vice Magazine Now Only Hiring Writers Who Fail Drug Test
- 9 Stanley Cup Final One Blowout Away From “Boston Massacre” Headline Outrage