MLB Opening Night Predictions: St. Louis Cardinals at Miami Marlins
MLB Opening Night Pick and Predictions: St. Louis Cardinals at Miami Marlins, Kyle Lohse Vs Josh Johnson.
I’m choosing to ignore everything going on overseas. The season doesn’t actually start until there’s a home-opener on American soil, and what an opener we have. Will the St. Louis Cardinals be competitive without Albert Pujols? Can Cards pitching work through injuries? The Miami Marlins have finally invested in their team and given them a new ballpark, but will they immediately reap any rewards? Can Hanley Ramirez and Jose Reyes coexist? Turnover and change carry the opening day themes, but last year’s consistencies carry this prediction.
St. Louis Cardinals at Miami Marlins (-170)
Kyle Lohse Vs Josh Johnson
The biggest concern with Josh Johnson has historically been his health. He appears to be opening the year healthy after injuries held him to just nine starts last season. This is his third consecutive opening day start, and expectations have never been higher. Johnson’s Marlins seem like a viable playoff threat to the Braves and Phillies.
The St. Louis Cardinals have injuries and a depleted roster to deal with. Without Albert Pujols, will the Cards contend? This is a battle of an upstart and hopeful franchise taking on a team that suffered possibly the biggest loss of a single player in baseball history. The middle of the order is empty and the pitching rotation is without Chris Carpenter and Adam Wainwright for now. Kyle Lohse is a number three starter, going against one of the best aces in baseball when healthy.
Pitching will dictate the result of this game, but the Marlins can hit too. Jose Reyes and Hanley Ramirez compose a dynamic duo at the top of the Miami order. All the young pieces are still in Miami as well. The Cardinals had a lineup that centered around Albert Pujols with relatively weak pieces surrounding the best hitter in baseball. Without him, the Marlins will surely out-slug the Cards.
In addition to their pitching and hitting advantages, the city of Miami will jump to embrace a sexy lineup and their new team. Look for the Marlins to feed off the energy of an exciting new year, in an exciting new ball park, with an exciting new team.
Marlins 5 – Cardinals 1
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook