Indianapolis Colts To Release Peyton Manning
His contract makes him untradeable, and with the #1 draft pick in their pocket, Colts management has decided its time to move on. Even so, it comes as a surprise. Manning is the franchise leader in every major offensive category, brought them a championship banner in 2006, and has been the face of the franchise since he arrived in 1998. It’s hard to imagine anyone else starting under center for the organization.
It’s also hard for the organization to stick with him. They signed him to a 5-year, $90 million contract, and with four major surgeries in the last four years, and dismal options at backup in Curtis Painter and Kerry Collins, they decided to make the change. Andrew Luck, the projected #1 pick of the draft, looks like younger, sprier, healthier, Manning and they want him taking first team snaps as soon as they can.
It’s been a rough year for Peyton. He didn’t take a single snap during the season, Cam Newton put a cleat through his rookie records, his little brother won the Super Bowl, and he now finds himself jobless. Even at 35, however, he won’t have a tough time finding employment. Plenty of teams will happily ignore his four neck surgeries for the opportunity to sign a first ballot hall of famer, and he is free to sign with anyone the moment he is released.
Jets fans have been calling for him since rumors of his release started, and Danny Snyder is always willing to take a chance on football’s elder statesmen. Given John Elway’s guarded praise of Tim Tebow, the Broncos might make a run at him too; Peyton might be the one player with enough star power to quell TebowMania.
Some have speculated that he might retire, but every statement from the Manning camp has indicated that he has every intention to suit up next season.
Image from TheInquisitr
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 3 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 4 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 5 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 6 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 7 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 8 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 9 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Strartup
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook