Bryce Harper Ejected For Throwing Helmet
Bryce Harper was ejected from a game last night, after throwing his helmet in disgust with home plate umpire Max Guyll. He had been on his way to first base, convinced the pitch was a ball, when home plate umpire Tony Beasley called him out on strikes, prompting the helmet-throw. Harper then proceeded to get all up in Guyll’s face for a few choice words. Tony Beasley, manager of the Class AA Harrisburg Senators was also thrown out of the game. In the video you can also see a very excited, probably very drunk, Richmond Flying Squirrels fan cheering on Harper’s ejection.
18-year-old Harper’s frustrations may have stemmed from more than just Guyll’s dubious strike zone, as he has struggled since being called up to the Harrisburg Senators in early July. In 109 at bats for the Senators, Harper has hit only .248, with a paltry .306 OBP and .385 SLG, while striking out 22 times. The converted catcher has also made 3 errors in left field since the call up.
Too much has already been made of Harper’s temper. While Bryce Harper may very well be a douche, in some ways his antics seem refreshing in the face of the at times overly genteel world of professional baseball. Few players seem to have the kind of fire and passion that Bryce displayed in his little explosion, one of the strongest outbursts of anger seen on the diamond since Paul O’Neil retired (much to the relief of water coolers everywhere). While many will point to the ejection as evidence of Harper’s immaturity, he is only 18. How mature should he be at this point? Besides, if you really want to call him out for being a dick don’t point to his behavior on the field, point to his truck.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Amanda Bynes’s Behavior Revealed to Be Elaborate PSA
- 2 Obama Horrified by the Grammar in Our Emails
- 3 Monster Fart Prompting Management to Rethink “Open Office”
- 4 NSA Demanded Access To Un-Filtered Instagram Photos
- 5 Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Ambushed By Alan ‘The Paper’ Rubinstein
- 6 ‘Licensed to Kim Jong Il’ Records 27th Straight Year Atop N. Korean Charts
- 7 ‘A/S/L’ Most Asked Question At Kaplan Online University Reunion
- 8 Vice Magazine Now Only Hiring Writers Who Fail Drug Test
- 9 Stanley Cup Final One Blowout Away From “Boston Massacre” Headline Outrage