Oops Ola!: Copa Del Rey Run Over By Bus
Real Madrid, celebrating victory over arch-rivals Barcelona in Spain’s Copa del Rey, dropped the trophy from their open-topped bus and saw it crushed under the wheels.
It was Real’s first victory in the domestic cup final for 18 years and the team was being greeted by 60,000 fans at Cibiles, a fountain in downtown Madrid where the tradition is to drape club colours over the Roman Goddess who dominates the square.
International defender Sergio Ramos has been identified as the player who let the 15 kilogram trophy slip from his grasp as the bus entered the square. “The whole thing about the cup was a misunderstanding,” he tweeted later. “It didn’t fall. It jumped off at Cibeles when it saw so many Madrid fans. Ha ha ha, but don’t worry – have a good day.”
Club spokesman offered a slightly different take on events. “It is not in good shape. Evidently, it was run over by a bus. It has to be fixed now.”
Real beat Barcelona 1-0 in the final with Cristiano Ronaldo’s extra time goal bringing the club its first silverware for three years and a first trophy under coach Jose Mourinho.
Once the Copa del Rey is fixed it will take its place of honour in the trophy case at the club museum. Until then, a replica will act as substitute.
Watch the unfortunate event happen in the video below (and take part in the Urtak poll):
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook