Google Chrome Canary: Test Apps in the Chrome Web Store Without Leaving Existing Chrome Install
Google Chrome Canary 10 – Designed To Mess With
Earlier this year, Google released a separate version of Chrome (for early, early adopters) they call Canary.
The difference between Chrome Canary and the others is that it can be run along side any of the other versions … without changing them.
That’s where today’s barrage of announcements from Google comes in, and how you can try them out without effecting your current settings in Chrome.
If you missed any of this press from Mountainview, there’s a whos who of coverage at Techmeme.
An update on the development of the much anticipated Chrome OS (along with a ‘test notebook’), a re-launch of the Chrome App Web Store, and Chrome itself with a new ‘Crankshaft’ V8 compiler, taking the browser to yet another speed benchmark.
Back to Chrome Canary. Earlier today, I tapped the Canary ‘wrench’ (at the riht top of the browser), then ‘about’ and the browser updated to version 10.0.603.3. Significant or not, this is the first time we’ve seen a ‘Ten’ in any release of Chrome.
Crankshaft, a new compliation infrastructure for V8 is already onboard for testing.
More importantly, you can test out the apps in the Chrome Web Store while leaving your existing Chrome install just the way it is. Canary will run separately and even, in most cases, simultaneously with other versions of Chrome.
I had a lot of fun trying out various apps this afternoon using Canary. Printing from anywhere to your home and office printer has been made easier. Tweetdeck has a new web app and much more is in store at Google’s App Store.
In the past two days, Google has just gone from ‘throwing stuff at the wall’ to see what sticks (or what users like) …. to taking on just about every competitor in some way while embracing a slew of new ‘partners’ …… not the least of which is Verizon who was chosen to deliver 3G to the test laptops in the US.
This launch event was ‘Preview 2011′ andit looks like an exciting year for developers ….. and all of us!
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 6 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook