Savory Bread Pudding with Gruyere and Swiss Chard
Don’t start that diet yet! Save room for just one more decadent dish…
1 large artisnal loaf bread, cubed (12-14 cups of cubed bread)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon evoo
2 leeks, white and light green part only, washed and sliced into 1/2 moons
1 fat garlic clove, minced or pressed
1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves chopped
3 cups half and half or milk
8 large free range eggs (because it’s nicer)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
2 pats butter
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1) Pre-heat oven to 350F. Place the cubed bread on 2 dry, ungreased baking pans and bake for about 15-20 minutes, until lightly toasted, but not colored. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Keep the oven on if you plan on baking the pudding immediately.
2) Sauté the leeks and garlic over medium-high heat in the 1 tablespoon butter and evoo. Cook until soft– about 5 minutes– then add in the chard, stir, cover and reduce heat to medium. Allow to steam-cook until the chard is limp, but still deep green, stirring occasionally.
3) Whisk the half and half or milk together with the eggs, salt and pepper. Place the tasted bread cubes into a very large bowl and pour the creamy-egg mixture over top. Toss well to coat all the bread then add in the leeks/Swiss chard and toss again. Now add in the Gruyere, tossing one more time. The pudding can be held like this for up to 8 hours.
4) Smear a large baking dish with the last 2 pats of butter and pile the bread/egg/chard/cheese mess into it. Scatter the Parmesan cheese across, cover and bake 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, remove the cover and continue to bake for 15 minutes longer, to brown up.
Serve at once. Makes 12-14 servings (awesome left-overs), but the recipe can easily be halved.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Amanda Bynes’s Behavior Revealed to Be Elaborate PSA
- 2 Obama Horrified by the Grammar in Our Emails
- 3 Monster Fart Prompting Management to Rethink “Open Office”
- 4 NSA Demanded Access To Un-Filtered Instagram Photos
- 5 Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Ambushed By Alan ‘The Paper’ Rubinstein
- 6 Vice Magazine Now Only Hiring Writers Who Fail Drug Test
- 7 ‘Licensed to Kim Jong Il’ Records 27th Straight Year Atop N. Korean Charts
- 8 Henry Cavill to be Replaced by Stack of Pancakes in “Man of Steel” Sequel
- 9 Taco Bell Now Just Dumping Bags of Doritos Into Everything On Menu
- 10 Stanley Cup Final One Blowout Away From “Boston Massacre” Headline Outrage