Recipe: Creamy Mushroom, Fig and Gorgonzola Bruschetta
Toast the bruschetta ahead of time. Make the mushroom/gorgonzola mixture up to several days in advance and stash in the fridge. A quick schmear then a broil, and you’ve got yourself a righteous party hors d’oeuvre.
10 slices artisanal bread, cut in half all pretty like
2 fat cloves garlic, halved
1 tablespoon butter
12 oz cremini or shiitake mushroom caps, sliced
1 dried fig, finely chopped (optional, not a deal-breaker, but adds a nice sweetness)
1 cup crumbled gorgonzola
1 soup spoon each: Sour cream, mayo, cream cheese
1 green onions, sliced thin
A couple dashes of cayenne (optional)
1) Toast the breads in a toaster, until crunchy around the edges, but not overly so in the middle. As they pop from the toaster, rub each toast with garlic clove half. This step should be done within hours of serving, not days ahead.
2) While that’s occurring, sauté the mushrooms in the butter until they have released their liquid and it is mostly evaporated. Chop the fig. Mash the gorgonzola together with sour cream, mayo and cream cheese until combined. When the mushrooms are cooked and soft, remove from heat and add in the figs, gorgonzola mixture, green onions and cayenne. The residual heat from the pan and mushrooms will melt the cheese mixture– stir to mix. Set aside in the fridge to firm up a bit from 30 minutes to three days.
3) When ready to serve, preheat the broiler. Smear each bruschetta (toast) with mushroom/cheese mixture, broil 6 inches from heat source until the mushroom/cheese has melted, going gooey and golden in areas. Serve at once.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 3 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 4 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 5 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 6 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 7 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 8 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 9 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Strartup
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook