Recipe: Farmers Market Chilled Soup (Vegan)
It’s almost impossible to eff up this soup; You can do pretty much anything to it. Try it with whichever vegetables tickle your fancy at the farmer’s market or grocery store this weekend. Use vegetable broth or chicken broth. Water would be okay, too– just possibly amp up the salt and saesoning.
Cold soup on a hot day, and losing my temper before 9am with one of my poorly behaved children, is what summer’s all about!
64 ounces, 8 cups vegetable or chicken stock, or water
2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
4 leeks, cut into chunks up to the dark green part (the dark geen part discarded)
3 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
1-2 pre-washed packs salad spinach
1 bunch asparagus, woody ends trimmed off
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1-2 tablespoons mild curry powder (optional)
1) Toss the potato and leek chunks into the stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, then add in the rest of the vegetables and the red pepper flakes, bring back to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, until everything is soft, but still nicely green. Purée until smooth, taste for seasoning, like salt, then add in curry powder, taste again and adjust. It should be highly seasoned, because when it is served cold, the flavors are muted. Allow to sit, off the heat at room temperature for 2 hours to cool, then satsh in the fridge.
Store in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, but up to 3 days. Serve cold. Makes about 12 cups.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Amanda Bynes’s Behavior Revealed to Be Elaborate PSA
- 2 Obama Horrified by the Grammar in Our Emails
- 3 Monster Fart Prompting Management to Rethink “Open Office”
- 4 NSA Demanded Access To Un-Filtered Instagram Photos
- 5 Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Ambushed By Alan ‘The Paper’ Rubinstein
- 6 ‘Licensed to Kim Jong Il’ Records 27th Straight Year Atop N. Korean Charts
- 7 Vice Magazine Now Only Hiring Writers Who Fail Drug Test
- 8 Henry Cavill to be Replaced by Stack of Pancakes in “Man of Steel” Sequel
- 9 Stanley Cup Final One Blowout Away From “Boston Massacre” Headline Outrage
- 10 Taco Bell Now Just Dumping Bags of Doritos Into Everything On Menu