Recipe: Stuffed Eggplant Parmesan (Vegetarian)
Vegetarian or not, this recipe satisfies. Coating the eggplant in corn starch then egg-wash and finally Panko breadcrumbs results in fabulously crunchy slices. Baking, rather than frying keeps the recipe healthy.
3 medium eggplants, peeled and sliced into 1″ rounds
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup corn starch (or flour)
3 whole eggs, beaten
Scant amount olive oil
1 small bunch fresh basil, chopped fine
8 ounces part skim ricotta cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
3 cups no-cook tomato sauce, or jarred sauce
8-10 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1) Pre-heat oven to 400F. Mix breadcrumbs with Parmesan. Dredge eggplant slices in corn starch, them submerge in egg and finally coat with breadcrumb mixture. Lay on a baking tray that has been sprayed with non-stick spray and drizzle with a tad olive oil. Repeat until all slices are prepared. Bake in hot oven for 15 minutes, flip and continue to bake for 10 minutes longer.
2) While the eggplant is baking, make the stuffing: Stir together ricotta, basil, garlic and Parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside. Remove eggplant slices from the oven and allow to cool, until room temp or just warm.
3) Spread an eggplant slice with ricotta stuffing and top with another eggplant slice. Set aside until all eggplant stacks are made. Spread enough sauce in the bottom of a large baking dish to thoroughly coat. Arrange the eggplant stacks into the dish, top with more sauce and finally mozzarella cheese. Pour any left-over sauce in around the stacks. Bake at 400F until golden and gooey, between 20-30 minutes. Serve hot.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook