Recipe: Stuffed Eggplant Parmesan (Vegetarian)
Vegetarian or not, this recipe satisfies. Coating the eggplant in corn starch then egg-wash and finally Panko breadcrumbs results in fabulously crunchy slices. Baking, rather than frying keeps the recipe healthy.
3 medium eggplants, peeled and sliced into 1″ rounds
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup corn starch (or flour)
3 whole eggs, beaten
Scant amount olive oil
1 small bunch fresh basil, chopped fine
8 ounces part skim ricotta cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
3 cups no-cook tomato sauce, or jarred sauce
8-10 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1) Pre-heat oven to 400F. Mix breadcrumbs with Parmesan. Dredge eggplant slices in corn starch, them submerge in egg and finally coat with breadcrumb mixture. Lay on a baking tray that has been sprayed with non-stick spray and drizzle with a tad olive oil. Repeat until all slices are prepared. Bake in hot oven for 15 minutes, flip and continue to bake for 10 minutes longer.
2) While the eggplant is baking, make the stuffing: Stir together ricotta, basil, garlic and Parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside. Remove eggplant slices from the oven and allow to cool, until room temp or just warm.
3) Spread an eggplant slice with ricotta stuffing and top with another eggplant slice. Set aside until all eggplant stacks are made. Spread enough sauce in the bottom of a large baking dish to thoroughly coat. Arrange the eggplant stacks into the dish, top with more sauce and finally mozzarella cheese. Pour any left-over sauce in around the stacks. Bake at 400F until golden and gooey, between 20-30 minutes. Serve hot.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Amanda Bynes’s Behavior Revealed to Be Elaborate PSA
- 2 Obama Horrified by the Grammar in Our Emails
- 3 Monster Fart Prompting Management to Rethink “Open Office”
- 4 NSA Demanded Access To Un-Filtered Instagram Photos
- 5 Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Ambushed By Alan ‘The Paper’ Rubinstein
- 6 ‘Licensed to Kim Jong Il’ Records 27th Straight Year Atop N. Korean Charts
- 7 ‘A/S/L’ Most Asked Question At Kaplan Online University Reunion
- 8 Vice Magazine Now Only Hiring Writers Who Fail Drug Test
- 9 Stanley Cup Final One Blowout Away From “Boston Massacre” Headline Outrage
- 10 Henry Cavill to be Replaced by Stack of Pancakes in “Man of Steel” Sequel