Recipe: Jerusalem Artichoke & White Truffle Soup
Jerusalem artichokes are in season! I’m making the most of this fabulous produce, while I’ve got the chance. This is a dream of a soup; so luxurious, with a silky texture and sumptuous flavors. It’s a restaurant quality soup that is great to serve guests, but easy enough to make for the family.
Watch the video for this recipe here
1 and 1/2 pounds Jerusalem artichokes
2 shallots, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 floury potato, like a baking potato, peeled and chopped into chunks
1 and 1/2 litres chicken stock (6 and 1/4 cups)
3 tablespoons (soup spoons) cream- single, heavy, whipping- your choice (optional, but good…)
White truffle oil (get the best quality you can afford- this makes a big difference)
1) Peel the Jerusalem artichokes with a vegetable peeler. Save the peels and put the prepared ‘artichokes’ into a bowl filled with water and the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Cut each art. into thirds.
2) Dump the art. peels into the chicken broth and simmer for 2 minutes, remove the peels, saving the stock.
3) In a clean soup pot, over medium high heat, saute the shallot and garlic in truffle oil for just a moment, then add in the potato chunks and and the chopped arts., pour over chicken broth and bring just to a simmer. Cook for 20-30 minutes, until the vegetables are very soft. Puree everything with a stick immersion blender, or go way-low tech and mash with a potato masher (for a chunkier version), pour in cream, stir. Do not let the soup come back to a boil after the cream has been added. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, if desired.
Ladle the soup into pretty bowls and drizzle with truffle oil. Add a bit more cream on top, too if you like. Serves 6
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Amanda Bynes’s Behavior Revealed to Be Elaborate PSA
- 2 Obama Horrified by the Grammar in Our Emails
- 3 Monster Fart Prompting Management to Rethink “Open Office”
- 4 NSA Demanded Access To Un-Filtered Instagram Photos
- 5 Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Ambushed By Alan ‘The Paper’ Rubinstein
- 6 ‘Licensed to Kim Jong Il’ Records 27th Straight Year Atop N. Korean Charts
- 7 ‘A/S/L’ Most Asked Question At Kaplan Online University Reunion
- 8 Vice Magazine Now Only Hiring Writers Who Fail Drug Test
- 9 Stanley Cup Final One Blowout Away From “Boston Massacre” Headline Outrage