Grading the GOP Candidates’ Twitter Campaigns
This article first appeared on The New York Egoist: Grading the GOP Candidates’ Twitter Campaigns
MITT ROMNEY (@MittRomney)
Sample Tweet: .@BarackObama’s Magical Misery Tour chugs along. Reject his failed leadership & get your limited edition hat
Comments: Romney (meaning the social media manager on his campaign team) would benefit from tweeting more often—doesn’t the front-running candidate have more than 1.5 tweets to broadcast each day? But his tweets are concise and substantive, and who doesn’t like free hats? He also tweets directly at Bam-Bam, which indicates that he has some social media balls. Nice use of the period before the @ sign, too.
HERMAN CAIN (@thehermancain)
Sample Tweet: #FiveDollarFridays for @THEHermanCain Plz donate/RT tinyurl.com/5rvj795 #Momentum #Cain2012 #tcot
Comments: Cain tweets frequently, but they’re all about how much his campaign is kicking ass. If I’m checking out his Twitter, I probably want to learn something about the candidate, not be hit up for #FiveDollarFridays, which I can only assume gets me 2 medium pizzas and a 2 liter bottle of Coke for $5. He also uses made-up hash tags like an 8-year-old with bad ADD.
MICHELE BACHMANN (teambachmann)
Comments: I prefer spoof accounts like @Bachmann2012, and @TeamBachmann doesn’t even pretend to be tweeted by Michele Bachmann. Is she too busy getting her ass kicked by Herman Cain to treat us with 140 characters of sheer insanity? The #Michele hash tag is an utter failure.
Rick Perry (@GovernorPerry, @TeamRickPerry)
Followers: 98,894; 21,831
Comments: @GovernorPerry, Rick’s personal account, is a fantastic cocktail of Ranger’s fandom and pheasant hunting. He needs to bring out this side at the debates. Other candidates, take note. @TeamRickPerry makes good use of the retweet, making it much less masturbatory than the other candidates’ accounts.
RON PAUL (@RonPaul)
Comments: Directs to content about how awesome Ron Paul is, but they’re mostly from Jack Hunter. The brazen Paul, with his appealing, somewhat insane ideas, would be an amazing voice on Twitter. What does his campaign have to lose by letting him loose? He’d use the @ sign to attack 24/7.
More Faster Politics:
Another Week, Another Republican Debate
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook