Was FDR a Communist?
That is, if you believe R. Paul Braun (R-GA), who, speaking on the House floor on Tuesday proclaimed at length what the original intent behind the US constitution was before damning President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s “communist” New Deal economic programs in the 1930s.
Braun labelled FDR a sympathiser of Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin, and a man who went through life and limb to implement the policies of the Soviet Union in America. The Georgia congressman said:
“Franklin Delano Roosevelt sent his advisors, his close friends, his cabinet people to go visit with Stalin in communist Russia to study what he was doing, what Stalin was doing there so that FDR could replicate it here in the United States. And he did everything he possibly could to do so.”
Bear in mind that FDR became president while the US was in the depths of the Great Depression, where a quarter of the country’s workforce was employed.
So I suppose on the main lesson FDR and his advisors took back to the US and tried to implement was the Stalin government’s collectivization of agriculture of 1932-33 in the major grain producing areas of the Soviet Union, where peasants were forbidden from eating their own crops, causing mass famine and the death of 6 million people.
Or maybe FDR just wanted to balance the budget and introduce a governmental welfare program to help the poor the needy. Who knows?
Well most mildly sane people with a basic knowledge of American history probably do, actually.
I understand that it is easy for Republican figures to get caught up in all this bad-budget mantra echoing through Washington right now, but maybe, in the meantime, Mr Braun could do with a history lesson or two. Or at least a crash course on the definitions of communism and stalinism before he continues his assault on the “evil” liberal Supreme Court judges who everyday help destroy the fundamental freedoms granted by the constitution.
MORE FASTER POLITICS
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Amanda Bynes’s Behavior Revealed to Be Elaborate PSA
- 2 Obama Horrified by the Grammar in Our Emails
- 3 Monster Fart Prompting Management to Rethink “Open Office”
- 4 NSA Demanded Access To Un-Filtered Instagram Photos
- 5 Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Ambushed By Alan ‘The Paper’ Rubinstein
- 6 ‘Licensed to Kim Jong Il’ Records 27th Straight Year Atop N. Korean Charts
- 7 Vice Magazine Now Only Hiring Writers Who Fail Drug Test
- 8 Henry Cavill to be Replaced by Stack of Pancakes in “Man of Steel” Sequel
- 9 Stanley Cup Final One Blowout Away From “Boston Massacre” Headline Outrage
- 10 Taco Bell Now Just Dumping Bags of Doritos Into Everything On Menu