Local hero Marg Baker Wants to Round up People and Put Them in Camps
Hmmmmmmm, does this quote strike anyone else as a bit, um, obviously insane?
We can follow what happened back in the 40s or 50s—I was just a little girl in Miami—and they built camps for the people that snuck into the country. Because they were illegal. They put them in the camps and they shipped them back.
That’s Florida State House candidate Marg Baker, arguing for the creation of “camps” in which we can store them illegals — one might say concentrate them — to make it easier to deport them. I would say we shouldn’t do that, but what do I know. I’m just some guy, some guy who doesn’t want to round up people and put them in camps, so my position on these camps comes from a no-camp bias. That’s just me. Video after the jump so you can judge for yourself.
As Matt Yglesias notes, it’s also not clear what she’s talking about. There were refugee camps in Europe in the 40s, which is different from Miami, but it seems unlikely to me that Marg is talking about refugee camps. More likely, Marg has created an alternate history in which Ronald Reagan single-handedly rounded up the brown Nazis and killed them all, Utah style. That’s what we call The Good Old Days.
Here’s the video, complete with fanatical gun worship at the end, because what would xenophobia be without assault rifles?
Maybe I’m being unfair though. Marg did an interview with Salon that cleared the air and made her seem totally electable, in Florida.
“We can ship them out to the middle of the country and put up high walls and leave them there,” said Marg Baker…
Whoopsie daisy. You’re gonna want to walk that one back a little.
“They’re trying to think I want to erect some sort of prison camps like over in Germany” — which she is not, Baker said.
Now we’re talking!
She added, “You’ve gotta have places for them to eat and sleep and breathe fresh air. It can be a tent city … You don’t want to make them too comfortable or they’ll want to come back.”
BAKER’S GOING OFF MESSAGE AGAIN!
She stressed to Salon that she would want all illegal immigrants, not just Hispanics, put in the camps. Though she added, cryptically, “the people are walking among us, and who knows.”
Oh my god, maybe Marg is just a huge Misfits fan who loves their album Walk Among Us. I can’t get enough of “I Turned Into A Martian.” That song fucking rocks, and — OH SHIT, is that song about immigration?! Do we have to deport the space invaders? Is that question any crazier that the things coming out of Marg’s mouth?
Really, the only way to deal with this kind of news is to follow Alkaline Trio’s advice to “put Walk Among Us on, and turn it up” and then not go to Florida, except maybe to boo the new Miami Dream Team.
Florida, man, that place is weird.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook
- 10 Shaq Confident He Will Eventually Make Funny Quip on TNT