Trayvon Martin: Mourning Through Music
As could be expected, there are scores of musical tributes to Trayvon Martin on YouTube in the wake of the teenager’s tragic death. Here are a few that have gained some traction.
1. “Super Life” by Chaka Khan, ft. Kelly Price, Luke James and more. This music video is a redux of Chaka Khan’s single of the same name, and nabs several celebrity cameos wearing hoodies.
2. “Wit My Hoodie On” by Los. This song has a much more personal bent, acting as an expression of Los’s personal loss and emotional struggle and tying it into the symbol the hoodie has become. The video ends with a rehash of George Zimmerman’s 911 call before the shooting.
3. “We Are Trayvon” by Plies. Interestingly enough, this video actually posits the idea of reestablishing mutual respect between blacks and law enforcement. Proceeds of the song go to the Justice for Trayvon Martin Foundation.
Photo courtesy of YouTube.
More Faster Politically Correct Pop:
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 3 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 4 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 5 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 6 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 7 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 8 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 9 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Strartup
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook