Zwarte Piet: Photos of Holland’s Racist Christmas Tradition
Whenever you start to feel bad about race relations here in the U.S., it’s always nice to remember that Europe is approximately one million times more f’d up. Take Holland’s beloved Christmas tradition of Black Pete (Zwarte Piet), Santa’s black slave in a court jester outfit. Santa, as the story goes, has captured Black Pete and forced him to accompany him on his rounds. If you are a good little Dutch boy or girl, Santa will bring you presents. But if you are naughty, Black Pete will abduct you and take you back with him to Spain.
So here’s a little Christmas treat for you to enjoy the next time some Euro starts jabbering about how Americans have such hangups about ze nudity. Dutch people dressed up as Zwarte Piet in Christmas parades and local festivities:
Photos from Flickr Creative Commons.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook