A Cat Named Hank Is Running For U.S. Senate In Virginia
Hank, a 9-year-old street cat from Springfield, is campaigning against former Virginia governors George Allen and Tim Kaine, hoping to represent Virginia in the United States Senate.
Hank announced his candidacy earlier this month, billing himself as an independent with “real world experience, a unique point of view, and limitless energy.” He is vying for the Senate seat vacated by James Webb this year, who has chosen not to run for reelection.
While not the first feline politician, he is (at least to my knowledge) the first cat to run for a political position in the United States.
According to Hank’s website, his campaign is founded on the issue of job creation. Hank offers these inspiring words: “ In each of us we have the power to improve our own lives, to improve the lives of our neighbors, our state, and our country.”
While some human-supremacists might suggest that voting for Hank is equivalent to throwing your vote away, Republicans have shown an affinity for doing exactly that (or, arguably, worse) in the GOP presidential primary by voting for Rick Santorum. And unlike political rival George Allen, Hank has never made racist remarks or flown the Confederate flag.
I, for one, believe it’s time to embrace true diversity in politics – across not just ethnic and gender boundaries, but species boundaries as well. It’s time the human stranglehold on politics was loosened. We’ve done a terrible job lately, let’s give Hank a chance to make things right. If I was a Virginia resident, I would give Hank my vote.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 6 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook