Favorite Theater Lines, Shows, Summer Festivals. Theater=Gossip? Tweets 73
“Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.”
“I’m going to make him an offer he can’t refuse.”
“You don’t understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could’ve been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.”
“Toto, I’ve got a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.”
“Here’s looking at you, kid.”
Those were five most familiar movie lines. But are there favorite lines from works of theater as well?
I got nominations from Tweeters, then put up a poll to rank the top ten in order. Results below (Scroll to Sunday.)
This week in New York theater was a week for sorting out favorites, including favorite shows from the season: Many theater awards announced their winners. And the august chairman of the National Endowment of the Arts said theater was humanity’s favorite thing after sex (I’m paraphrasing; what he actually said was just as odd, though. Scroll to Friday.)
Monday, May 16, 2011
2011 Outer Critics Circle Awards (winners in boldface)
Broadway Play: War Horse
Broadway Musical: Book of Mormon
Off-Broadway play: Other Desert Cities
Off-Broadway Musical: The Kid.
Both Nina Arianda (Born Yesterday) AND Frances McDormand (Good People) won Outer Critics Circle Awards for best actress in a play. A tie
Astaire Award Winners: Susan Stroman, Broadway choreographer, Scottsboro Boys. Sutton Foster, best female dancer on Broadway, for Anything Goes. Norbert Leo Butz, best male dance on Broadway for Catch Me If You Can.
Dead music’s a drag: Local 802 of American Federation of Musicians takes on Priscilla for taped music and just nine musicians
In Glee finale May 24th, Rachel and Kurt (Lea Michele and Chris Colfer) sneak onto stage of Broadway show Wicked to perform “For Good.”
Lanford Wilson memorial at Lyceum Theater: Lanford Wilson went to every performance of his plays. “Nobody enjoyed a Lanford Wilson play more than Lanford Wilson,” said Edward Albee.
Tony Kushner: I would not char
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 3 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 4 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 5 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 6 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 7 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 8 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 9 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Strartup
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook