BREAKING: Karen Handel, Komen VP, Resigns in Protest
Karen Handel has just announced her resignation as senior vice president from Komen, following the organization’s unofficial retraction of their decision to cut funding to Planned Parenthood for breast cancer and cervical cancer screenings.
In her resignation letter, obtained by the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Handel “openly acknowledges” her role in the decision to cut funding (a role that was initially denied and downplayed by Komen brass) as well as her either incredibly nearsighted or astoundingly stupid motivation of “reducing controversy” and “delivering even greater community impact” by cutting ties with the organization. Certainly whatever fantasies she had of the way such an ill-thought out, highly politicized decision would be greeted by the public were, ultimately, gross miscalculations at best, highly troubling delusions at worst.
You can read Handel’s entire letter here:
It might be too late to salvage Komen’s reputation, but surely Handel, in the vein of Sarah Palin, will have a luminous, Fox-sponsored career ahead of her, where she can continue to parlay her “non-political” statements into dollar signs and Colbert-worthy sound bites. More updates on the situation as they come.
MORE FROM MICHELLE KOUFOPOULOS
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Amanda Bynes’s Behavior Revealed to Be Elaborate PSA
- 2 Obama Horrified by the Grammar in Our Emails
- 3 Incidental Boob Graze Redeems Trust Fall Exercise
- 4 Monster Fart Prompting Management to Rethink “Open Office”
- 5 NSA Demanded Access To Un-Filtered Instagram Photos
- 6 Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Ambushed By Alan ‘The Paper’ Rubinstein
- 7 Local Bully: Gay Boy Scouts a Dream Come True
- 8 ‘Licensed to Kim Jong Il’ Records 27th Straight Year Atop N. Korean Charts
- 9 ‘A/S/L’ Most Asked Question At Kaplan Online University Reunion
- 10 Stanley Cup Final One Blowout Away From “Boston Massacre” Headline Outrage