Being One Race is Boring
Being a single race now means you’re the minority—and kind of behind the times—which now translates to you being a little bit of an outcast. Or a nerd. Or both.
I certainly recall my grade-school days, growing up in a suburban community outside of Atlanta where nearly everyone in my class was “white”. In a blue moon, there would be a “black” person, and even more rare was someone from the middle-east. (back then, it was still OK to classify someone as “oriental” without having to discuss rugs) My point is, it was easy to tell who came from where.
But now, that’s old fashioned and as the NYT reports the multi-racial population has increased almost 50 percent, to 4.2 million, since 2000, making it the fastest growing youth group in the country. The number of people of all ages who identified themselves as both white and black soared by 134 percent since 2000 to 1.8 million people.
So basically, everyone is getting busy and making rainbow babies, which is awesome. I’m not jealous of all the action happening…okay. Maybe I am just a little.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Amanda Bynes’s Behavior Revealed to Be Elaborate PSA
- 2 Obama Horrified by the Grammar in Our Emails
- 3 Monster Fart Prompting Management to Rethink “Open Office”
- 4 NSA Demanded Access To Un-Filtered Instagram Photos
- 5 Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Ambushed By Alan ‘The Paper’ Rubinstein
- 6 ‘Licensed to Kim Jong Il’ Records 27th Straight Year Atop N. Korean Charts
- 7 ‘A/S/L’ Most Asked Question At Kaplan Online University Reunion
- 8 Vice Magazine Now Only Hiring Writers Who Fail Drug Test
- 9 Stanley Cup Final One Blowout Away From “Boston Massacre” Headline Outrage