Being One Race is Boring
Being a single race now means you’re the minority—and kind of behind the times—which now translates to you being a little bit of an outcast. Or a nerd. Or both.
I certainly recall my grade-school days, growing up in a suburban community outside of Atlanta where nearly everyone in my class was “white”. In a blue moon, there would be a “black” person, and even more rare was someone from the middle-east. (back then, it was still OK to classify someone as “oriental” without having to discuss rugs) My point is, it was easy to tell who came from where.
But now, that’s old fashioned and as the NYT reports the multi-racial population has increased almost 50 percent, to 4.2 million, since 2000, making it the fastest growing youth group in the country. The number of people of all ages who identified themselves as both white and black soared by 134 percent since 2000 to 1.8 million people.
So basically, everyone is getting busy and making rainbow babies, which is awesome. I’m not jealous of all the action happening…okay. Maybe I am just a little.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook
- 10 Surgeon General Pleads For Americans to Chew Their Food 3 or 4 Times At the Very Least