Breaking News: Attempt to Rescue Danish Family Kidnapped by Somali Pirates Has Failed
2:34 PM EST It has been reported within the past hour that armed forces from Puntland, the semiautonomous region in northern Somalia attempted to rescue the Danish family that was kidnapped by Somali pirates on February 24. The attempt, confirmed by security officials in Nairobi, Kenya, has failed, and the Somali forces were forced to retreat into the village of Hul Anod up in the mountains.
A warship said to belong to the Puntland government was spotted off the Somali coast as early as Monday, causing some, like the mayor of nearby Bandarbeyla, to fear the repercussions of a rescue attempt. Mayor Aden Ali said”I warn against any action that could endanger the lives of the innocent hostages. Military actions should be the last resort. We’re trying to solve the problem in a peaceful manner and with the help of clan elders.”
His fears were not without merit. Portuguese sailors were killed recently after another failed rescue attempt by international forces.
The pirates ambushed the nascent government’s military forces. According to the pirates, some of the armed Puntland troops were killed and some were captured. No numbers regarding the dead and captured have been released thus far.
It is unknown what price has been set for a ransom on the Danish family. In November, a British couple kidnapped while sailing on the Indian Ocean was released after a $1 million dollar ransom was paid.
This story will be updated as the situation develops.
For more background on this story, read Danish Family Held Hostage: Why Somali Pirates are Getting Bolder
You can follow Jacklyn on Twitter @TheVelvetDays.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Amanda Bynes’s Behavior Revealed to Be Elaborate PSA
- 2 Obama Horrified by the Grammar in Our Emails
- 3 Monster Fart Prompting Management to Rethink “Open Office”
- 4 NSA Demanded Access To Un-Filtered Instagram Photos
- 5 Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Ambushed By Alan ‘The Paper’ Rubinstein
- 6 ‘Licensed to Kim Jong Il’ Records 27th Straight Year Atop N. Korean Charts
- 7 Vice Magazine Now Only Hiring Writers Who Fail Drug Test
- 8 Henry Cavill to be Replaced by Stack of Pancakes in “Man of Steel” Sequel
- 9 Stanley Cup Final One Blowout Away From “Boston Massacre” Headline Outrage
- 10 Taco Bell Now Just Dumping Bags of Doritos Into Everything On Menu