Your No-Wave Past Will Haunt You
As the Village Voice put it last week, “extremist drummer moves to town to fuck shit up and kick your genitalia off“. While I am bummed the Voice somehow managed to mimic my initial thoughts on drummer Weasel Walter moving to New York, I am quite excited to see a publication of it’s size dedicating a fair amount of ink to a guy who is not only one of the most talented drummers kicking around the underground, but a guy I feel safe calling a visionary.
Walter’s own personal output –some of which sounds like free jazz, some like grind metal– makes up a pretty hefty catalog that makes the guy seem like the second coming of Sun Ra. There’s no doubt he’s an exciting eccentric, but one thing he is given little credit for is his influence in the resurgence of the late 70′s No Wave scene. It’s become hip to name check groups like The Contortions or Teenage Jesus and The Jerks because Walter decided to act like Alan Lomax, and document all of this stuff on his website way back in 2000.
So here’s to being the second publication (that I know of) to welcome Mr. Weasel Walter to the neighborhood. May your genitalia kicking days go on for a long time, and may your influence grow and grow and grow.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook
- 10 Shaq Confident He Will Eventually Make Funny Quip on TNT