Terrible Records? Not So Much
Less than a year after its founding, Chris Taylor’s Terrible Records is off to a fantastic start. This is no surprise. One could have safely assumed the Grizzly Bear multi-instrumentalist—and the producer behind the band’s last two discs—would have an ear for talent. First, of course, there was Taylor’s own side project, CANT—an obvious sibling to his main gig, but a fascinating one at that. Then there was Acrylics, a Brooklyn trio specializing in beguilingly nostalgic West Coast pop, whose debut EP, “All of the Fire,” saw daylight late last fall.
And now there’s Twin Shadow, the pet project of George Lewis Jr, whose debut EP is due out on Terrible this summer. Give a listen and you can probably guess the major European city Lewis recently called home. That would be Berlin. Kraftwerk and “Low”-era Bowie are all over Twin Shadow’s electro-pop. Fortunately, Lewis isn’t simply out to impress his heroes (at least, not with that hair). “Castles in the Snow” and “Yellow Balloon” are glittering little wonders—glo-fi with bells on. “Castles,” in particular, balances its moody synth come-ons with effortless hooks and a surreal sense of humor. “You’re my favorite daydream / I’m your famous nightmare,” Lewis declares. Who would have it any other way?
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook