Every Time I Die unleash Ex Lives
In a video made by Epitaph Records to promote the record, the group’s guitarist, Jordan Buckley, had this to say, “I’m with the kids who say, ‘Give it to me now, make me pay attention because if you lose me, I’m outta here,’” Ex Lives delivers on that pledge from the moment his brother Keith shrieks “I want to be dead with my friends” to the end of its hardcore raga closer, “Indian Giver”. Every Time I Die ensnares the listener with punk fury and a keen ear for melody.
A new drummer, Ryan Leger, propels the group with superb grooves and a ferocious attack. His playing on “Holy Book of Dilemma” will make the song a favorite at the group’s energetic live shows. To say that “Legs” has injected new life into the band is a massive understatement. Leger’s talent for driving his band makes his predecessor’s performances seem tepid. Guitarists Andy Williams and Jordan Buckley serve up white hot cuts of their signature Southern fried metalcore as well as surprises like the jazzy “Typical Miracle” and the slow burner “Revival Mode“. The two race through riff after fiery riff before dropping into absolutely savage breakdowns.
That track and “Partying is Such Sweet Sorrow” are Keith Buckley at his finest, screaming and crooning lines culled from the lips of a drunk Baptist minister. While Keith’s recent work with The Damned Things brought a greater focus on singing, these songs are a study in how a man destroys his larynx. With a run time just over a half hour, Ex-Lives flies by and Buckley’s lyrics are rich with literary images and wordplay that rewards repeat listens. Visceral and cerebral punk? I’ll raise my glass to that.
For Fans of: Trap Them, Mastodon, The Chariot, getting shitfaced and moshing
Your humble servant recently attended an Every Time I Die show in Brooklyn at the Morgan. In short, go see the band but have your will prepared beforehand.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook