New Music Review: The Magnetic Fields; “Andrew In Drag” (LISTEN)
The Magnetic Fields’ new single “Andrew In Drag” is a promising sign that their new album may be a return to form.
The song abandons the ill-fated experiments of the last two Magnetic Fields albums (Realism and Distortion) and sees Stephen Merritt returning to what he does best – catchy synth pop. Loaded with the kind of Casio (or Casio-esque) sounds The Magnetic Fields were known for before 69 Love Songs, “Andrew In Drag” is the best song the band has released in years. Besides the percolating synths, the song features a catchy chorus and melody, plus the kind of clever, tongue-in-cheek lyrics Merritt has become known for.
“Andrew In Drag” will be available as a 7” from Merge Records, with the B-side “The Next Time In Love I Fall.” You can pre-order it now; it will ship on January 31st.
The track is the first single off the new album Love at the Bottom of the Sea, which will be released on March 6th on Merge Records in North America and Domino Records overseas. Besides the single, the album title is also hopefully a sign that the band is pursuing a sound more akin to their classic 90s synth pop than the recent misfires of Distortion and Realism. The release of Love at the Bottom of the Sea will coincide with the beginning of a spring tour for the band.
More From Erik Oster:
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook
- 10 Shaq Confident He Will Eventually Make Funny Quip on TNT