New Music Review: David Guetta; ‘Nothing But the Beat’ (MUSIC VIDEO)
Nothing But the Beat is a diluted, drawn-out overkill of a good thing, taking the club-thumping beats of French producer David Guetta and saddling them with fun but uninspiring verses from some of hp-hop and R&B’s heaviest hitters. The record has a solid foundation in Guetta’s tunes, which generally fall in the realm of Eurotrash lite; think Lady Gaga gone bubblegum or just listen to “Club Can’t Handle Me” and you’ll have an idea what the guy is all about.
Which isn’t a bad thing, really: Guetta is a go-to guy when rappers want a banger, and there’s a good reason for it. His tracks are never particularly challenging or adventurous, but they are a lot of fun, and they tend to bring the best out in middle-of-the-pack artists (Flo Rida being the most notable). But Nothing But the Beat is kind of an album-wide phone-in, with Lil Wayne sleazing his way through a forgettable verse, will.i.am indulging in more of his master-of-the-obvious nonsense (“club lights/explode at night”) and Timbaland, in an apparent moment of insanity, ripping off his own “Promiscuous” with a duet called “I Just Wanna F” where he trades verses with a slinky, fun Nelly Furtado soundalike called Dev. Oy vey.
There are a few bright spots. “Sweat” is actually an infectious remix of Snoop Dogg’s hit “Wet” from earlier this year; Usher takes Guetta’s wizardry to balladic heights on “Without You”; Nicki Minaj does her signature crack-pop thing on a pair of songs; and Flo Rida does right by his boy on “Where Them Girls At.” But despite Guetta’s best efforts, the material rarely manages to match its potential. Without his beats, this album would literally be nothing.
MUSIC VIDEO: Snoop Dogg feat. David Guetta; “Sweat”:
More Faster Music Reviews:
-Jay-Z & Kanye West; Watch the Throne
-Boston Spaceships; Let it Beard
-Greyson Chance; Hold On ‘Till the Night
-Nekromantix; What Happens in Hell
-Joss Stone; LP1
-Theory of a Deadman; The Truth Is…
-Attack! Attack!; Attack! Attack!
-”Weird Al” Yankovic: Alpocalypse
-Pitbull; Planet Pit
-Bad Meets Evil; Hell: The Sequel
-Bono & The Edge; Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark
-The Lonely Island; Turtleneck & Chain
-Flogging Molly; Speed of Darkness
-Lady Gaga; Born This Way (Part 1/Part 2/Part 3)
-Danger Mouse & Danielle Luppi: Rome
-Tyler the Creator; Goblin
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook