Death at the Punk Fest
While I haven’t cared about the Vans Warped Tour since Bill Clinton was in office, it is incredibly sad to read about the 26-year-old attendee who died, probably from dehydration, during the tour’s recent stop in 100+ degrees Bonner Springs, KS (right outside of Kansas City, MO).
Sadder, even, are reports that water was unavailable to most patrons for less than TEN DOLLARS.
Also reported on Punknews.org, a statement by The Warped Tour that seems to say “we’re washing our hands of this matter”:
“There is no confirmation this was due to dehydration, cardiac, other substances, etc. We do provide first aid to anyone who needs it. If this was due to dehydration, the tour is not responsible for water prices and we change venue rules to allow you to bring it in with you. What’s happened today is an unforeseeable tragedy that shouldn’t have happened. We are all upset and shocked and our hearts are heavy. Please remember to be responsible when you are at an event like this. At ANY possible sign of a problem, PLEASE contact a venue member.”
While that might be true, it seems everybody is rushing to cover their asses. The venue was quick to put condolences on the front page of their website, and when I called for a statement, nobody was available to comment.
While it’s too early to say what the actual cause of death was, I am shocked by the quickness with which the Warped Tour places blame on the victim.
Totally not punk as fuck, Warped Tour.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 6 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook