UFC 129 Update: GSP Wants to be a “Real Champion”
Georges St. Pierre told Sherdog he is not listening to the suddenly growing gaggle of critics picking apart his game. They just can’t seem to finish telling us that GSP can’t finish. It’s getting old.
GSP has won 30 straight rounds. Granted, I think he was snoozing along with the rest of us during many of those rounds. Even he seems to understand the fans’ frustration.
“You want to finish. You want to take him out,” St. Pierre says. “I want to use my technique [and] my skills that way. It’s something I’ve been working on in training.”
GSP also said he is not underestimating Jake Shields.
“This time, the bar is raised much higher,” St. Pierre says. “I’m fighting a much better guy, but I welcome the challenge. I want to fight the best. I want to be the best. I don’t want to be a paper champion. I want to be a real champion, and to be a real champion, I need to fight the best contenders, the best guys. I consider Jake like a champion, too. He’s been a champion in many different organizations and different weight classes — something I’ve never done.”
So, okay, GSP said the bar is raised much higher for UFC 129. Does that mean GSP is putting more emphasis on finishing Shields than he normally would?
Probably not. GSP said he is trying to be a “real champion.” And real champs focus in one thing: Winning.
That said, I’ll take GSP in the third by submission,
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook
- 10 Shaq Confident He Will Eventually Make Funny Quip on TNT