TUF 13: Chris Cope can Fight…and Write
Brock Lesnar can exhale.
Chris Cope pulled off a huge upset for Team Lesnar on the second episode of The Ultimate Fighter 13. Cope ground Javier Torres into the canvas, and by the third round it was clear Torres didn’t really want to be there anymore.
Credit Cope for bringing the intensity throughout the fight. He has a lot of heart, and the world needs more of that.
It was hard to use that fight as a gauge for how far Cope can go in MMA. On the one hand, the win was not spectacular and he obviously has his limitations. He is not going to ever blow anyone away talent-wise. And at the end of the day, heart can only take you so far once you are a professional fighter. There are a ton of super talented guys with tremendous hearts in MMA. You need to have both if you expect to have staying power.
Lucky for Cope, he is not just a gutty fighter. He is a great writer. After his surprising win on the second ep, Cope threw together a wonderful blog for Yahoo.
I must say, Cope’s blog is a lot better than most of the pablum being puked out of the bowels of cyberspace these days, yours truly included.
Cope offered facts, details and insights you can’t get anywhere else in cogent, well-written prose. How often do you get that from a blog these days? Not as often as you get to read about George Lucas’s daughter, I can guarantee you that.
Not to mention the quick turnaround time. Cope can meet a deadline.
The fighters on Team Lesnar and Team dos Santos need to take a good hard look at what Cope brings to the table in terms of determination. A lot of fighters could learn a lot from him.
So could a lot of writers.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook