UFC 129: Jake Shields Over Georges St. Pierre?
Strikeforce welterweight contender Paul Daley is alone on an island. He might be the only person in the world who thinks Jake Shields has a chance at taking out pound for pound favorite Georges St. Pierre at uFC 129 on April 30.
“I think we could be in for an upset. Jake Shields is very capable and good at what he does.”
“Obviously I’ve fought Jake Shields before and I lost back in the day over at Elite XC. I think that Jake Shields is going to be the toughest opponent that Georges St. Pierre has faced in recent times,” said Daley.
“Jake Shields is not only proven himself at 170-pounds, but he’s beat Dan Henderson and Dan Henderson is no joke, so I think that just goes to show the sort of caliber of fighter Jake Shields is. That being said, Jake Shields is slighty more one-dimensional than Georges St. Pierre.”
“If Georges St. Pierre can keep the fight standing than I think Georges St. Pierre has a high chance of winning the fight. And I don’t doubt that Georges St. Pierre is going to try and take Jake down as well and try and do some damage from top postion.”
OK, so clearly Daley thinks Shields might pull off an upset because his own hubris won’t allow him to believe he lost to a fighter that is about to get shredded. Such a scenario could only knock him down a few rungs on the status ladder. At least in his own mind.
Daley better win when he meets Nick Diaz for the Strikeforce welterweight title on April 9. Because what St. Pierre is going to do to Shields isn’t going to be good for anybody’s ego except for Georges’.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook